Thursday, March 02, 2017

This Was a Man - Jeffrey Archer (Book)


This Was a Man - Jeffrey Archer
7/7 of The Clifton Chronicles
Last year when I picked up the first Harry Potter book when it came highly recommended by my couple of friends and a cousin - until that moment I always thought it was a case of "Much ado about nothing" and today after finishing another series of 7 books from yet another British writer - I post this review having a "Severus Snape" like hair style, wearing a Harry Potter T shirt. Imagine what impression these books leave on my fragile soul :). Another friend told me that she cried while ending the seventh book and it wasn't any different for me too as a tear actually almost rolled down my eye (twice) as I finished the last chapter "The End" and as the German wall came crashing down and at the very end - WOW!. Fantastic, Mind-blowing and just terrific was this book series which will be on the back of my head for a long long time. Amazon yet again goofed up the delivery of the last book as I always wanted to read the last book as a paperback but had to settle finally for a kindle version as just couldn't resist waiting another couple of days for the delivery to arrive and I am glad I did that. And if I didn't mention earlier - even in this series one of the main character happens to be named "Harry (Clifton)", couldn't just be a co-incidence you see.
Much against the general opinion of people who read the series and claimed that the last book was underwhelming - I would like to counter that because I totally loved it and will call it a perfect ending. Yes, it doesn't comes any closer to the first two for sure but is certainly way better then the last four and a perfect finale I will say. Here too Lady Virginia bounces back with a vengeance and her story takes an amazing (hilarious) turn as we expect no less then what actually happens to her - Karma at its best. The way Jeffrey has covered the seven decades in the life of the trio of Harry, Emma and Giles progresses in life and achieves what they achieve together against all odds is simply commendable, from kids at a primary school to great grandfather and grand fathers respectively plus the added important episodes from history make it a damn good read. Also as Harry's last book comes to an end (book inside a book) - I guess all the fans will definitely look forward to the same booking coming to stands this year some time soon by Jeffrey Archer named "Heads You Win", what a superb idea. I wish I could come across Jeffrey Archer in real life so I get an opportunity to take out my pen and raise in respect - if you know what I mean.

No comments: