Wednesday, June 14, 2017

My Gita - Devdutt Pattanaik (Book)

My Gita - Devdutt Pattanaik. 

Imagine my excitement to read this as my very first Bhagwat Gita experience, I was all delighted to lay my hands on Devdutt Pattanaik's version thinking that it will be an easier version for a layman (the uninformed) like me and what a disaster it turns out to be. Like my friend mentioned last week in his review that he couldn't finish it - tried as hard as he could, unfortunately I have a track record of finishing the lousiest of the books - so found this to be not that bad that I couldn't finish and trash it without reading full. Fortunately my Devdutt Pattanaik journey started with his "Illustrated Ramayana" which I totally loved, followed by "Illustrated Mahabharata" which was still OK - nothing great I will say rather I found it pretty underwhelming, going back to that time I was expecting a terrific story telling with something new to look forward to (Like Palace of Illusions - I totally loved) but that wasn't the case to be. But this one "My Gita" was an Epic bore if I can sum it up in short. I guess its high time that I asked some DP fan's - which one as per them is his best book other then of-course these three so I can get it and give him another opportunity before not going ahead with rest of his books - although to tell you the truth - I have all of his books already in my collection. Imagine what kind of impact the "Illustrated Ramayana" had on me :).

Even "Gita" for that matter has such a wide scope - I haven't unfortunately read any other versions yet. My dad being a huge huge Bhagwat Gita fan, will certainly recommend me a better simpler version that I will read again to get over the memory this one has given me. Looks like DP tried a little too hard to make this work and he anyways calls it "My Gita" as understood by him and he kept picking up stuff from both the epics to make it up a little more understanding. I guess I should have rather picked up a straight translation then anybody else version of the Original. This was an epic fail for me. Do let me know if you have read this one and how did you like it. Or if there is any other better version that you think I should go for? Feel free to recommend and would love to know your thoughts on this one. I will not recommend this to anyone anyways. 

No comments: