Friday, May 12, 2017

Sapiens A Brief History of Humankind - Yuval Noah Harari (Book)

Sapiens A Brief History of Humankind - Yuval Noah Harari. 

This book can very well be reviewed and summed up in one sentence: We (Home Sapiens) have screwed this planet big time and unfortunately there is no going back hence it all is coming to an end - very soon. I do not like reading horror at all and this unfortunately is one of the scariest books I have ever read in my life - it scared the shit out of me big time the way Yuval has covered the History, where and how it all started to the present and a glimpse on the future too as in which direction we are heading. I am sure if you have read this book - you will totally agree with me here. Totally loved the clarity of his thoughts and how subtly he has put his point forward - kudos to him. For some reason I have postponed my reading of Darwin's "Origin of Species", got it like two years back, still has it on my Kindle, have read couple of books inspired by his theory yet I am yet to read the one which started it all I guess. I have even read Matt Ridley's "The Red Queen" which talks about the similar subject but isn't scary like this one. And let me finish this by saying that I am NOT AT ALL looking forward to Yuval's next "Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow" that title itself is telling the whole story and imagine how scary it will be :).

As I picked up this one which came highly recommended from loads of people, found it a little boring and a kind of a slow starter. I always thought Yuval must be a Japanese, Chinese or a Korean may be but to my shock and surprise he turned out to be an Israeli. Wow! I guess this is my first from someone from that part of the world and its incredible. The kind of research he must have done to come out with this perfect book which should be kept in a indestructible titanium box  (should be Nuclear resistant too), so once the Homo Sapiens disappear from the face of this planet like the Dinosaurs did and a lot of animals and birds are getting extinct by the day do too - whoever finds this planet later should get an idea who we were and what we did to this planet. He hasn't left anything that needs a mention and has covered so much in those little over 400 pages that I found it incredible. The book after a boring and slow start just keeps getting better and by the time it ends - I actually wanted it to go on and on and I believe thats what he did with the sequel which I vow not to read as I have such a fragile heart and just cant take chances. This book should be made a mandatory read in school and colleges right before the next generation comes out and does exactly the same thing what we did and joins our hands in further destroying this planet. Although he doesn't offer any kind of solution in this one but at least we know what we are doing wrong now. But the $ million question remains unanswered - Are we listening to him and the likes? Is there a way all this can be stopped?

Terrific book and a must must read for all.
A definite 5/5 from me with a double thumbs up recommendation.
If you have read it already - do let me know how you liked it and are you planning to read the sequel? :) 

No comments: