Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Gunday (2014) - Thriller



Gunday turns out to be one of those rare and One of the most underwhelming Yashraj movies in last couple of years for sure, the last movie from Yash Raj Films that I saw and liked was “Jab Tak Hai Jaan” – typical glossy stuff with no head or tail whatsoever. But this one takes the whole thing to a new height of sorts, it felt like walking on the edge of a sleeping volcano expecting it to erupt any moment but nothing happens. I had huge expectations from Ranveer Singh, Arjun Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra on one side and Irfan Khan with YRF on the other but it disappointed me big time. Arjun Kapoor’s earnest performance and Irfan Khan’s “walk in the park” performance was the saving grace for me plus the period (70s and 80s) as they captured was something to cherish about. Wiki calls it a thriller whereas the sequences as per me were more dramatic then thrilling to say the least. Twists and turns which I wasn’t even expecting in a movie like this were just about average but somehow things work out in favor of the movie partially. I couldn’t hate the movie but just couldn’t love it either – surprisingly only twice I felt like an urge to cheer and clap – that too to mostly Irfan Khan’s credit. Ranveer Singh and Priyanka Chopra tried too hard – way harder than expected or required and surprisingly Arjun and Irfan were a natural. If you haven’t seen it – you may give it a shot – who knows – you may end up liking it. I will rate it a tab below average 2/5 with no repeat value whatsoever (That hardly is the case with most of YRFs).

No comments: