Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Lootera (2013) - Period Drama



The day I came to know that Vikramaditya Motwane is making “Lootera” with Ranveer Singh and Sonakshi Sinha in lead – I thought it’s going to be a disaster for he has surely picked up a wrong leading lady for the role. His debut movie was super awesome “Udaan” which was totally loved by public and critics. It’s amazing how he proved my prediction go wrong and I regret skipping it on big screen even after getting high recommendation from some trusted friends. WOW! I must say what a fantastic movie which starts on a very low profile and subtle note and kept me hooked till the very end and even the finale left me with a solid lump in the throat feeling – I was having my lunch and almost couldn’t finish it as it was such an overwhelming feeling. Although it’s partially inspired by “O Henry’s story – the last leaf” which we all have read in our school English reader – I am sure of that. Still it works big time on screen, superb is the way both the leads pulled off their characters – I had my full trust on Ranveer Singh but Sonakshi totally shocked and surprised me with her expressions, body language and what not. Even the story is so simple yet damn good that we were engrossed from the very first scene and it keeps throwing one card after another and the Director keeps the trump card for superb ending – by the time we realized where it’s going – we were already there and then there was no looking back. This should be another one of the best love stories told in its own subtle way by any bollywood movie and as it almost gave me a feeling that this movie may be called as today’s generations “QSQT” it had that impact on me. I guess the expectations from the Director for his next movies will be doubled now as he has surely bettered his own previous work by two folds this time, it’s as engaging as was “Udaan” and I will definitely rate it one notch higher for sure. My ratings – a damn good 4/5 with two thumbs up – I am definitely looking forward to the original DVD and will keep it in my collection for future viewings. A must watch – just in case you missed it earlier like I did.

No comments: